With the news that Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are planning potential immigration raids for July 14th-18th in New York City, we recognize that many immigrant families are worried about what these could mean for their themselves, their families, and their friends.
It is important for immigrant families to know they have rights and resources they can use to gain assistance if they are targeted in these raids.
Please find important information including fact sheets, phone hotlines and other NYC resources available to you, your family or friends if you are targeted below.
1) Know Your Rights: Fact Sheet
(additional languages forthcoming):
Fact Sheet: Know Your Rights with ICE [English]
Fact Sheet: Know Your Rights with ICE [Spanish | Español]
Fact Sheet: Know Your Rights with ICE [Chinese (Simplified) | 简化字]
2) Important information for immigrant New Yorkers:
- The City has invested over $48 million in immigration legal services so that immigrant New Yorkers have access to legal help, emergency planning (such as parental designations and standby guardianship planning), and more.
- The City of New York does not conduct federal immigration enforcement. The NYPD does not ask about the immigration status of crime victims, witnesses, or other people who ask for help.
- The City of New York has confidentiality protections in place for all New Yorkers, regardless of immigration status, who are accessing important City services
3) ActionNYC Hotline:
If you are worried about what the President’s actions could mean for you and your loved ones—particularly if they have ever been in deportation proceedings, have received an order from immigration court, or have concerns about their immigration status, please call the ActionNYC hotline at 1-800-354-0365 to receive free and safe immigration legal help.
In addition to regular weekday hours, the ActionNYC hotline will be open this Saturday and Sunday, July 13th and 14th, from 9am – 5pm. The city will be monitoring the volume of calls, and will have staff prepared to stay later, as needed.
5) Know Your Rights Forums: There are two Know Your Rights Forums scheduled this week - in the Bronx on 7/14 and on Staten Island on 7/18.